In this guide, you have a step-by-step walkthrough you can take when installing an eSIM on your IOS device.
Before attempting to install the eSIM, there are three main things you will need:
- A strong internet connection - Ideally you will need to either be connected to Wi-fi or have a good 4G signal.
- An eSIM compatible device - if you are unsure, here's a list of compatible devices: List of compatible devices
- The device isn't locked to one Mobile Network - If you are unsure of whether or not your device is locked to a certain network, have a look at our article on how to check if your device is "locked/unlocked" Locked/unlocked devices
Do not forget to turn on "Data Roaming" once the installation is complete.
1. Go into your "Settings" and click on "Mobile Data / Cellular".
2. Tap "Add eSIM" > "Use QR Code" > Enter Details Manually.
3. Enter the "SMDP Address" and the "Activation Code" provided, (these can be found in your eSIM folder by the provider you purchased from.) > Tap "Next"
Leave the "confirmation code" section blank.
4. Click "Continue" and wait for it to finish.
Note: This may take up to 10 minutes, please do NOT close this, or the installation will stop.
5. Once completed, click "Done".
5. You will now have the option to modify the name of the "eSIM label" which is the name of the Sim. If you do not wish to do this, you can skip ahead to step number 7.
6. If you would like to modify the name of the "eSIM" now, follow these steps:
Tap ">" Then either choose one of the preset names or type the name you would like to use in the "Custom Label" box > Tap "Done" > Tap "Continue".
As you can see from the example below, the "eSIM Label" was changed from "Mobile Data" to "Travel" in the preset box.
7. Configure the following settings as suggested below:
- Set Default Line to "Primary".
- Set Mobile Data to your previously chosen eSIM, in this example "Travel".
8. The eSIM is now installed and set up.
Reminder: Data Roaming MUST be "ON" in order for the eSIM to work.
9. Go back into "Settings" > Tap "Mobile Data / Cellular" > Scroll to find "Data Roaming" and toggle the switch to "ON"